- Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life… You give them a piece of you. They didn’t ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn’t your own anymore.
~Rose Walker, The Sandman #65
- “I am anti-life, the beast of judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, gods, worlds … of everything. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?”
“I am hope.”
~ Choronzon and Dream, Sandman #4: “A Hope in Hell”
- “Justice is a delusion you will not find on this or any other sphere. And wisdom? Wisdom is no part of dreams, lithe walker, though dreams are a part of the sum of each life’s experiences, which is the only wisdom that matters. But revelation? That is the province of dream.”
~ A skeleton bird, in Sandman #18: “A Dream of a Thousand Cats”
- It is a fool’s prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak.
~Dream, in Sandman #19: “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”
- The paths fork and divide. With each step you take through Destiny’s garden, you make a choice; and every choice determines future paths. However, at the end of a lifetime of walking you might look back, and see only one path stretching out behind you; or look ahead, and see only darkness.
~ Sandman #21: “Season of Mists”, preludium
- They talk of me going around buying souls, like a fishwife come market day, never stopping to ask themselves why. I need no souls. And how can anyone own a soul? No. They belong to themselves … they just hate to face up to it.
~ Lucifer, in Sandman #23: “Seasons of Mist: episode 2”
- It is sometimes a mistake to climb, it is always a mistake never even to make the attempt.
~ Dream, in Sandman: “Fear of Falling”
- We were never lovers, and we never will be, now. I do not regret that, however. I regret the conversations we never had, the time we did not spend together. I regret that I never told him that he made me happy, when I was in his company. The world was the better for his being in it. These things alone do I now regret: things left unsaid. And he is gone, and I am old.
~ Lady Bast, in Sandman #72, part three of “The Wake”
- “The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.”
~ Dream (Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman: Dream Country”)
- “Not knowing everything is all that makes it okay, sometimes.”
~ Delirium (Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman: Brief Lives”)
- “We do what we must . . . Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all.”
~ Dream (Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman: Season of Mists”)
- “You know what sticks people to something? The desire to know how it’s all going to end.”
~ Loki (Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman: The Kindly Ones”)
- “What power would Hell have if those imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?”
~ Dream (Neil Gaiman’s “The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes”)
- “If you have nothing left to want then you just wait until there’s nothing left to wait for, don’t you?”
~ Kara (Neil Gaiman, The Sandman: Endless Nights)